Sunday, August 10, 2014

CBD, MCG, ETC.


I worked far too hard this week. Tutorials freak me out: eighty pages of reading, eighteen classmates, and the presence of an eminent professor combine into enough pressure to make me miss high school. Fortunately, I completely overestimated the intensity of these classes, and next week will be a much more relaxed affair. But, by Thursday, I was extremely ready for the weekend.

Thursday took me to two Central Business District clubs: Utopia and New Guernica, resulting in some mostly flattering photos. Thursday was also the day of a major tagging-and-bagging purge in which I gained six points and lost them all in the space of two hours.

Saturday took seven of us to St Kilda for a picnic of Mexican soup and flatbread and a walk down a teetering driftwood pier. Next was Aussie Rules Hawthorn vs Melbourne, a game Harry described fairly accurately as “rugby crossed with football crossed with quiddich”. We newbies picked our team on the day, but our #alwayshawthorn Instagram looked genuine enough to feature us on the big screen at quarter time.
That night was another CBD night out: Wah Wah’s is small, sweaty, and smoky, serves vodka slushies, and is my favourite place so far. The night ended with sushi in China Town and singing Wonderwall with four drunk Uni Lads from the colleges, who topped up our water with goon from their goon sack* and pretended to be Irish, fooling nobody.

Sunday was spent at Melbourne Museum, taking in the Aboriginal exhibition, dinosaur skeletons, and some cool rocks. We then went to Lentils for dinner, a restaurant deserving of its own blog post. Lentils is a thirty minute full moon walk away through the park along the Yarra. I can now attest that werewolves are not native to Australia.

*Disclaimer: No Mum, no Dad, I did not drink this strange drink from these strange men.
*Disclaimer #2: footnotes not included in word count.


“I really like that white thing you have on your front…” “Thanks! You mean my dress?”

“Wait, I thought Schlampe was the German for ‘see you later’…”

“Plagiarism? I go by traditional Spartan laws. Sure, you can do it. But if you’re caught you suffer the consequences.”

My scrapbooking ventures include a spot of Ovid's Actaeon, some of this week's events, and a very relatable poem about university.


There we go. That's a wrap.

4 comments:

  1. Gracious, are your parents reading this?

    Parents can be so paternalistic. Especially fathers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Vallis erat piceis et acuta densa cupressu,
    nomine Dandenongie, succinctae sacra Dianae...

    http://www.perseus.tufts.edu/hopper/text?doc=Perseus%3Atext%3A1999.02.0029%3Abook%3D3%3Acard%3D138

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. don't worry, i'm wearing a blindfold when i go on bushwalks, i aim to keep my human form...

      Delete